Tuesday, August 5, 2008

She’s Crafty…

…in the innocent sense, of course!

I occasionally get an extreme urge to crochet or sew, especially when my brain is working overtime on something.  This time around, the urge was definitely to crochet.  I played around with a couple of projects, started DTTF's Doctor Who scarf (which I may frog and start again with a larger hook), and made a scarf for a wonderful friend, Sash.  Then I came across a beautiful dragonfly afghan filet crochet pattern.

Now, as I've mentioned before, I associate dragonflies with Tree Faerie and always have, so when I saw this pattern, I just knew it had to be created for her.  I picked out a pretty frosty green for the main color and found a shade of purple and a variegated yarn that compliment the green well.  After I got my yarn home and looked at the pattern again, I decided to add a touch of yellow to the mix as well. 

I started working on the project a week ago, and since I am learning a new crochet technique with this pattern, I had to frog (rip out) a couple of rows because I couldn't correct certain errors without doing so.  I finally made up my own notes to work with in order to ensure that I didn't get lost in the pattern, and since then have completed an average of 2 rows a night.  I'm now 40% done with the center panel.

I am so excited about this project!  I promise to post pictures when I'm done.  The picture of the original pattern can be found here.  This project has a lot of promise.  I don't know if I'm going to add one layer of border or two.  It all depends on the size once I'm done with the first border.  I am considering putting the afghan away after I'm done so I can present it to her when she's older and will appreciate it more – maybe as a gift for when she turns 5.  DTTF also suggested hanging it on her wall.  I'll have to ponder that, because hanging it unsupported may stretch the stitches.

I'm also pondering converting knit patterns into Tunisian crochet.  Since many knit stitches can be replicated to a certain degree with Tunisian crochet, this should not be difficult.  It's like putting a puzzle together, but instead of having the original pieces, you have to make your own.

Do you ever get the feeling your brain works TOO much?

=|=

2 comments:

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

I can't wait to see the finished product, hon! It sounds beautiful!

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I couldn't get the link to work, so I can check out the original. Happy crafting! :)