Wednesday, June 18, 2008

What a Wonderful Weekend, Part II

Continued from yesterday’s post…

 

Since my parents planned to leave on Friday instead of Saturday, we decided to skip the trip to the zoo we had discussed.  Instead, I took them down to Overton Square in Memphis, where we went to Maggie’s Pharm, the best herb shop in town.  I needed more red raspberry leaf to make my monthly tea since I am now getting a monthly cycle, and Mom wanted to get some for herself to try out.  Once we were done there, we walked across the street to Memphis Pizza Café to enjoy delicious pizza. 

 

After lunch, we headed to Harbor Freight Tools, where Mom tried to buy me an airbrush kit.  I talked her out of it because I’m currently trying to simplify my life and get rid of the things I either have not used in over a year that are not essential for my existence.  She seemed a bit disappointed but understanding.  We then drove over to Bass Pro Shop to look around, and Tree Faerie ended up with a really cute pair of sunglasses that she actually wears!  I was highly impressed, and still am every time she wears them!  We couldn’t convince her to wear a hat, though. 

 

When we got back to the house, my parents packed and headed out, leaving me feeling a bit sad.  The feeling only lasted a little while, though, because I had a nice surprise waiting for me in the mailbox.  My best friend from high school sent me a really cute card telling me that I am a prescription for happiness.  After reading it several times and showing it off to DTTF when he got home, I stuck it up on the fridge so it would be a constant reminder.

 

Saturday was relaxing and filled with wonderful girlfriend time, friendship, love, and great conversations.  I have learned a lot recently about the strength of friendship and love, and this newfound knowledge has made me a much happier person.

 

Sunday morning, I took Tree Faerie with me to pick up DTTF’s Father’s Day gift while letting him sleep in.  I planned to pick up a book on grilling but decided to look for a John Denver guitar tab book just in case, because that would have been the perfect gift.  Alas, I did not find one.  Instead I found an awesome book on the history of Punk music, which I knew DTTF would love.  I scanned the bargain racks and found a really nice grilling book for 60% off the cover price.  I left the book store very pleased with my purchases.

 

DTTF was awake by the time Tree Faerie and I returned, so we went out on the patio to “open” his gifts and his cards and let Tree Faerie play.  I got Tree Faerie to tell him “Happy Father’s Day” several times, which was absolutely adorable!  Of course, if I hadn’t known what she was trying to say, I would never have guessed that she was saying Happy Father’s Day, but it had the right number of syllables, similar vowel sounds, and the right tonal inflections.  She’s getting really good at mimicking what we say, which can lead to awkward moments in front of strangers at times.

 

That afternoon, our friend ANB came over to hang out.  She, Tree Faerie, and I went swimming while the charcoal burned to perfect coals in the grill.  DTTF earned his title of Grill Master by grilling hot dogs, filet mignon, hamburgers, flatiron steak, and salmon.  I made Cajun Mashed Potatoes, which he loves, to go with it and made steamed broccoli for Tree Faerie, ANB, and myself.  It was absolutely delicious!

 

All said and done, I couldn’t have asked for a better week and weekend.  Life is good.

=|=

2 comments:

KATE said...

Sounds like a GREAT weekend! How fun!!

Cindy Mc said...

I'm just now getting back to blog reading and blog posting! I didn't know you've been having a lot of emotional turmoil, etc. I'm so sorry! Let me know if you need someone to listen or a shoulder to cry on! I want to be there for you! I've been too crazy to post at my blog, too, and I just got back to it. Check out my latest post. www.moviesmemphismadness.blogspot.com