Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Wait, were we talking about weight?

I am finally down to my pre-pregnancy weight! WooHoo! Sadly, that's still 30 lbs heavier than when we got married in July of '05, and 55 lbs heavier than when we started dating in '01. I'm celebrating my small successes as they come, which is much easier knowing that I've lost 40 lbs since giving birth.

I've started watching what I eat better, trying to limit my calories to around 2,000 since I'm still breastfeeding. I'm also trying to increase my physical activity, which is actually a lot harder than eating better. Who has time to exercise anymore? I don't seem to find much time. We go to Taekwando about once a week, though we didn't go last night because I was sick to my stomach. Other than that, when I get up to go to the bathroom, I make a quick (really quick) trek through the office. When I'm waiting on my queries to run, I sometimes do leg-lifts or squats. I bench-press my baby. I practice my Kegel exercises every time I think about it, and I've started adding a "tummy-tuck" when I remember to do the Kegels.

My husband is being very supportive, but I'm trying to get him to realize that I don't need a drill sergeant, I need a cheerleader. When I told him I don't want him being a drill sergeant, he responded that when privates are in boot camp, they hate their drill sergeants, but once they're done, they really appreciate their drill sergeants.

"Yes, but they don't marry their drill sergeants. I need my husband."

The other thing I keep hearing over and over in my head...

"I can't celebrate your successes and not criticize your failures."

Why not? That's what I try to do for HIM as a loving and supporting wife.

2 comments:

Random said...

hey, congrats on the pre-baby weight! it's cool to look back and see how much you've lost since giving birth, huh?

i think it's very possible to celebrate someone's successes without criticizing their failures. after all, people tend to be hard enough on themselves, so they don't really need the help there. ;P

Unknown said...

that was my point exactly!