Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Zenni Optical

A couple of weeks ago, the screw on the right side of my glasses came out. I got this pair for next to nothing in July. Since then, I’ve worn my glasses as often (if not more often) than I’ve worn my contacts, something I haven’t done since I started wearing contacts 13 years ago! Apparently I abused them, because the screw decided to bail on me. I picked up one of those little repair kits for glasses to replace the screw, but it turns out that the pair I have needs a special kind of screw. Because I’m cheap and didn’t pay but about $20 for my glasses, I found an alternative method to hold the glasses together. I took heavy duty black quilting thread and whip-stitched my glasses together.

(You may laugh, but you can’t tell they’re actually held together with thread without actually inspecting my glasses. I may be a nerd, but at least I'm a creative one!)

Since then I’ve kept my eyes open for an inexpensive way to replace my glasses. Enter Zenni Optical: Sells Rx Glasses for only $8 with case! They have a flat shipping rate of $4.95 no matter how many pairs you order, so I could get a brand new pair of glasses shipped to my house for about $13! Plus, the anti-scratch coating and the UV protection is free. The anti-reflective coating is only $4.95, which the place I got my current glasses wanted to charge me $40 to add the coating (I declined THAT offer). They can also add sunglass tint for $4.95.

The only thing I’m apprehensive about is not being able to try them on first, but they have a partial-refund return policy. If I don’t like them I can return them for 50% of the cost of the glasses. Seriously, for this price, I think I can afford to take the chance. I may even go a little funky!

Then again, maybe not. This whole glasses thing is still a little new to me, especially since I hated them so much when I was a kid.


3 comments:

Not Afraid to Use It said...

OMG THANK YOU for this tip!! Both Hubbie and I would like to get Rx sunglasses, and this totally seems the way to go! We love you!!!

Coal Miner's Granddaughter said...

Wow, pretty cool! I don't need glasses at the moment, but I'll have to remember this place. Thanks, hon!

carrie & troy keiser said...

That is so cool, I'm gonna check them out! nearly everyone in our house wears glasses and we go broke buying them in this little po-dunk town! Thanks for sharing this with me! :)