Wednesday, August 1, 2007

To My BFF Random Faerie

Happy 27th Birthday to you!

When we first met 6 years ago, I thought it was great that you were a new mom and still sported bubble-gum-pink hair, but for some reason I didn't connect you with the same person I was talking to about pagan parenting and about having family-friendly get-togethers. It wasn't until after we started talking at Festival of Souls a year or two later that I made the connection. We made plans to start hanging out and actually kept those plans!

I remember being so nervous at first because I tend to attract the same types of friends over and over - either the oh-my-god-no-one-knows-the-shit-I-go-through-every-day-to-make-life-better-for-everyone-you-should-be-utterly-grateful-to-have-me-in-your-life-worship-me-now type or the I'm-in-desperate-need-of-a-friend-oh-you're-listening-to-me-you're-my-bestest-friend-in-the-whole-world-really-I'm-not-nuts type. Thankfully, you were neither.

It has been the most refreshing, stress-free friendship I've ever had. I've always been able to talk to you about anything. I never felt like you were judging me, even when we didn't agree. It was really easy to be honest and open with you, even when cancelling plans.

When you moved to Colorado last year, I was devestated. I don't keep up long-distance relationships of any kind well. Just ask my brother! The only long-distance person I talk to on a regular basis is my mom! Then when I got pregnant, I felt even more alone because you were also my favorite mom friend, and my second-favorite mom friend had also moved away. We saw you and your boys (hubby included in the 'boys' part) very briefly in October, then saw you briefly in May. But how does one catch up on months worth of stuff, especially when it's difficult to remember one's own name?

You and your boys are back in town this week, and I must say, it's been very refreshing to see you, even if all of our plans haven't worked out. It just makes me feel better knowing you're only a mile away instead of 1,000. I am still just as comfortable as ever around you.

Thank you for being such a wonderful person, for having a wonderful family, and for letting me, my hubby, and now my daughter be a part of your lives. You and your boys are the reason my hubby decided it might be okay to have kids, so essentially I need to thank you for Tree Faerie as well.

I hope the next 27 years bring you as much (if not more) joy, laughter, and love that the previous 27 years have brought you. No matter where we both end up, know that you will ALWAYS have a special place in my heart.

XOXOXO,
Andrea

1 comment:

Random said...

aawww... *sniffle* you made me tear up! stop that. ;)

i love you, too, and you guys have made such a positive impact on my life over the past 6 years. even before we were really friends, i liked reading what you and dttf had to say on the groups and whatnot.

seeing you guys was the best birthday present i could ask for. i miss you so much!